Tuesday, January 29, 2013

So much Snow!

We keep laughing about how snow is just no big deal here.  Usually they'll predict something like 3-5 inches and we'll end up getting 6-12.  No one really talks about the snow or builds it up with lots of hype.  It falls, they plow, we shovel, and life goes on within a few hours.   We have about 18" piled up in our yard, which I found makes shoveling a little challenging since you have to lift the shovel so high to add it to the tall piles on the side of the driveway.  The locals have told us that the temps usually rise a few days after the snow, so it's unusual for it to keep piling up like it has this year.  This January, the temps in SLC have averaged 20 degrees less than usual.  We've found our first SLC winter to be pretty fun, though.  I'm definitely looking forward to it melting and seeing the grass again, but the adventures in the snow do make things pretty fun.  If we have to deal with cold temps anyway, it's good to have some snow to make things beautiful!


Here we are on a walk after the 9" we got the other night:




Andrew asked if he could live under this tree and stay there forever:

And then Andrew messed up someone's shoveling job:

This is the first time it snowed the night before a day B had to leave for work.  So, it's also the first time I've shoveled the driveway.  Gotta say, I may agree with B's desire to get a snowblower.  That's a long driveway!  So proud of my hard work that I had to take pictures...also gotta say that I owe B a big thanks for taking care of it all those other times.  I definitely underestimated how tough of a job that is!  

In progress...


Done!


We are currently in another snowstorm and it's expected to continue snowing the next 4 days. We're going skiing on Saturday and are pretty excited about all the new snow that will be up there!  Meanwhile, I'll be getting my exercise via shoveling this week!






1 comment:

  1. that's a lot of shoveling. Who needs a gym!
    Wonderful photos. I think you should get a hat like the kids.

    ReplyDelete