Saturday, August 9, 2014

Garden Update

Good news! The blog has not jinxed the garden!  I have continued harvesting a few cherry tomatoes every day and I've made lots of batches of yellow zucchini muffins for the family.  I'm getting some beans every day, but we haven't cooked them yet because I only have 8-10 in the bag right now.  Hopefully more will be ready soon!  The bell peppers are getting close to pickable and I've had a couple cucumbers per week.

You should know that it's not all success stories in the garden.  I had trouble with the deer attacking my plants when they were young, some sort of bug is eating the cabbage like crazy, and bush bean plants keep falling over when they get a couple beans on them.  I'm also not having much luck with the carrots I'm trying to grow.  I've had them planted since the beginning, but they are still just the size of my pointer finger!  Any tips on growing carrots?  I'd love to have a huge crop of those! What I do have to say is that my zinnias are AMAZING!  I think they are quickly rising to the top of my list of favorite flowers.  They are so bright and beautiful.  I'll definitely be planting even more of them next year!

I did a little photo shoot in the garden today:
Garden on August 9, 2014


August 9, 2014



The Zinnias:





Baby Watermelon!

Fall Crop of Spinach starting to grow:

Cabbage with lots of holes from some sort of caterpillar, I think:

Cherry tomatoes--starting to turn red!

These guys were the size of the tip of my thumb in my last post.


 The first sunflower bloomed this week!

Cucumbers!  I'll definitely be planting more cucumber and less summer squash next year.  Yum!


My pumpkin plants are on the right.  They are blooming like crazy, but no baby pumpkins for pictures yet.


And, of course, the kids:



1 comment:

  1. Love all your growing things....
    Your garden is looking great as are the little ones.

    ReplyDelete